– Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
– Holding the head Teacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils and the performance management of staff
– Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent
The trustees/directors are responsible for ensuring the charitable company achieves its objectives, as well as compliance with charity and company law and the academy trust’s funding agreement.
The Evolve Trust is also a Multi-Academy Trust (MAT) which is a single legal entity with its board of trustees is accountable for a number of academies in its chain. The academies in the Evolve Trust family are:
• The Brunts Academy – an 11-18 school
• The Beech Academy – an 11-19 special school
• The Bramble Academy – a 3-11 school
This means that an additional layer of governance is possible through the delegation of governance functions to local governing bodies, made up of local governors. Each academy has a local governing body to which the MAT trustees may delegate some governance functions.
Local governors who sit on local governing bodies are not trustees of the academy trust unless they also sit on the trust’s board.
As a MAT, where trustees and members are responsible for more than one academy, the Evolve Trust has a robust governance structure that retains some distinction between the individuals who are trustees and those who are members. This promotes internal challenge and scrutiny, which members who are independent of the trustees can provide. The diagram below demonstrates this structure: –
Chair of The Brunts Academy Local Governing Body – Mrs J Horton
Chair of The Beech Academy Local Governing Body – Mrs P Camidge
Chair of The Bramble Academy Local Governing Body – Mrs A Callaghan