School Direct is a training route which allows you to work and study within a school while studying towards a postgraduate qualification (PGCE) degree and Qualified Teacher Status.
This is an innovative training route run as a partnership between our lead school, other schools within the Trust and our accredited teacher training provider, Nottingham Trent University.
Why train with us?
For both School Direct routes (salaried and non-salaried), you will train in at least two good schools, getting the chance to learn ‘on the job’ – but you shouldn’t worry about being thrown in at the deep end. You’ll be part of a team from the very start, receiving intensive support from experienced teachers and mentors. That means you won’t be teaching classes unsupported until the school thinks you’re ready.
You will be trained in a highly supportive environment and develop the rigour, professional knowledge, understanding and skills necessary for the delivery of creative, purposeful and challenging teaching and learning.
You will be assigned a subject mentor within the school who will work alongside you on a day to day basis. Mentors are highly skilled in coaching, effective classroom observation and providing accurate and timely feedback.
The training programme in school will also be overseen by an experienced Teaching & Learning Coordinator who will act as the link between the university and school, as well as ensuring that you have access to a comprehensive professional development programme throughout the year including key training sessions ranging from behaviour management to collaborative learning strategies.
- An interview with both the training school and NTU is part of the selection process;
- Disclosure and Barring Service check; and
- Prohibition Order check; and
- Professional ITT Skills Tests in Numeracy and Literacy passed prior to enrolling; and
- Two references: one academic and one vocational.
- It is desirable that applicants can evidence a minimum of ten days' mainstream UK school experience (paid or voluntary) in their application. Preferably, this experience would have been gained within the last two years.
For more information about funding and the course programme, please contact the School of Education at Nottingham Trent University:www.ntu.ac.uk/edu
Additional information can be found at:www.education.gov.uk
We would love to hear from you!
For more information on how to apply email:Helen Taylor - Director of ITT